WASHINGTON, COUNTY — A Washington County deputy died after a fight with an inmate at a detention center, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.
The department said an investigation led to the arrest of 17 people Thursday morning, and the people arrested were taken to the Washington County Detention Center.
Officials said one of the people arrested got into a fight with a deputy at the center. The deputy was injured during the fight and died at the hospital.
The deputy is identified as Deputy Kyle Davis. He started with the Washington County Sheriff's Office as a jailer/dispatcher in 2008.
Undersheriff Jon Copeland said Deputy Davis "had a heart of gold and could always bring a smile to your face." Davis leaves behind a wife and two children.
- Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger retires after 35-year career
- DOWNLOAD the 2 Works for You app for alerts
- Oklahoma Mobile ID app launches pre-enrollment feature
- FOLLOW 2 Works for You on Facebook
- Safety plan approved for this years Mayfest
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --