TULSA, Okla. — The owner of Marshall Brewing Company is grateful fire crews saved his property from burning after the building next door caught fire Tuesday afternoon.
“If you get the opportunity, buy a firefighter a business because they’re definitely the heroes and in this whole thing, and we can’t be more grateful,” said Eric Marshall, founder and owner of Marshall's Brewing Company.
Marshall added, “We really felt we really had a good system going with COVID protection and keeping our customers safe, and now you get the rug pulled out from you a little bit, so 2021 is trying to give 2020 a run for its money."
His tap room is recovering from the damages caused by the fire that originated next door in the Fischer Office Supply building, but he's grateful his production was left untouched.
“Which is the major part of our business is selling beer out in the market so that won’t be affected fortunately," he said.
Tulsa Fire Department said the fire was caused by space heaters left unattended.
They have ruled the cause of the fire an accident and said the office supply business owner would not face any charges because he was trying to warm his pipes to keep them from bursting.
In a situation like this, who is responsible for the damage? 2 Works for You investigated. We reached out to an insurance expert who said there are several options to pay for the repairs.
In a case like this one, where one business causes accidental damage to the one next door, the liability falls on the company's insurance where the fire originated. If the business is not insured, the liability falls on its owner.
In many cases, the insurance policy for a neighboring business is damaged; in this case, Marshall Brewery should have a tenant policy or a building insurance policy that will pay the losses. Then that policy will pursue payment from the party at fault, which is called subrogation.
The owner of Marshall's Company told 2 Works for You he's leaving it to his insurance to figure that part out.
“That’s why you pay for that, right, so it’s time for them to go to work on our behalf," Marshall said.
- CHECK: Closings and power outages in Green Country
- DOWNLOAD the 2 Works for You app for alerts
- Delaware County man died after going on ice to rescue dog
- FOLLOW 2 Works for You on Facebook
- Oklahoma family uses blow dryers to save calves from winter weather
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --