LOCUST GROVE, Okla. — The Mayes County Sheriff's Office is investigating after finding human remains near Locust Grove.
The sheriff told 2 News the remains are believed to be Wesley Stillsmoking, but the medical examiner's office will confirm the identity.
Stillmoking disappeared in October 2018. He'd been spotted on a trail camera in the area. His car was found in Locust Grove in December 2018.
At the time officials worried he'd gotten disoriented in the woods and got lost. More than 300 people helped search for him over the last years. Searchers found articles of clothing and other personal items that lead them to believe the remains are his.
- What works to boost gas milage
- DOWNLOAD the 2 News Oklahoma app for alerts
- Two children killed in Broken Arrow fire
- FOLLOW 2 News Oklahoma on Facebook
- Tulsa bakery celebrating Pi Day
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --