NewsLocal News


Family speaks after man shot, killed in north Tulsa shooting

drive by.jpg
Posted at 11:12 AM, Jul 02, 2024

TULSA, Okla. — Tulsa police arrested Keith Stewart for first-degree murder in the death of Trayvis Watson.

Watson died after a fight led to a shooting in a neighborhood in north Tulsa.

Police said the 51-year-old died after getting shot in the head at his home near 46th Street North and North Main.

The shooting happened just after 10 a.m. on July 2. This was just one day before Watson's 52 birthday, according to family.

2 News talked to Watson's cousin State Senator Kevin Matthews.

"This is a sad day. Anytime someone is murdered, but certainly, my cousin being murdered. In the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong type of people it’s a sad day for our family," said Matthews.

Senator Matthews said that Watson was trying to turn his life around. He recently graduated from theNorth Tulsa Community Construction School which trains the formerly incarcerated, justice-involved, and non-college-bound individuals in technical trades.

"He graduated from that school trying to make his life better," said Matthews.

TPD said that after being shot, Watson went into his home, where he died. The Homicide Unit was at the scene, working to gather any information from witnesses.

2 News talked with one neighbor who was stunned that it happened so close to home.

"I’ve heard it happening pretty close but with it being literally next door, it was pretty shocking. We didn’t know what to think, and we were just floored," said Shawne Rasnic.

Watson said that he hopes that the community will continue to stop the violence.

"I would say that my family is not angry. I think we need to be intentional at this time to address substance abuse, address mental health and address problems that we don’t talk about often in these communities. So I think that we need to take this opportunity to reduce violence in our community against one another," said Matthews.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --