HASKELL, Okla. — The Muskogee County Sheriff's office says the state medical examiner has confirmed that the body found is that of John William Vernon.
No cause of death has been determined yet.
Vernon was reported missing on June 20 after his family had not heard from him in several days.
Police say search teams found the body on a piece of land Vernon lived on Monday.
Authorities are awaiting confirmation of DNA results before positively identifying the body.
The cause of death has not been determined at this time, but police are actively investigating the situation as a suspicious death.
Shane Freeman has known Vernon for over 30 years.
Freeman said it is not like his friend to leave without telling anyone.
“It’s just not like him to not come to work for a couple of days," Freeman said. "We knew something was up.”
- Family asking for help after fire destroyed home, cars, and tools
- DOWNLOAD the 2 Works for You app for alerts
- Tulsa City Councilors approve $16 million for north Tulsa development project
- FOLLOW 2 Works for You on Facebook
- Delta Variant identified in Oklahoma
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --