CREEK COUNTY, Okla. — A dog attacked and killed a 7-year-old Kiefer boy on Wednesday, according to the Creek County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office said they received a call about a missing child around 7:20 p.m. Wednesday after James McNeelis didn't come home after dinner and didn't respond to calls from the family. James's father found him dead, according to the family.
The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife's early investigations indicated the boy was attacked by the family dog.
James's family told 2 News Oklahoma that they had only had the sheltie-corgi mix for three weeks after taking it in as a stray and that the dog hadn't shown aggression before the attack.
The dog is now being held at an animal control facility.
This is a developing story. 2 News Oklahoma will update when we learn more.
- ACLU files lawsuit challenging Oklahoma 'race theory' law
- DOWNLOAD the 2 News Oklahoma app for alerts
- Car recovered from south Tulsa neighborhood pond
- FOLLOW 2 News Oklahoma on Facebook
- Images show cities submerged underwater if global climate goals aren't met
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --