NewsLocal News


Coweta police arrest man wanted in armed robbery at Kum & Go

Posted at 5:40 PM, Dec 01, 2021
and last updated 2021-12-14 19:46:07-05

COWETA, Okla. — The Coweta Police Department arrested a man Sunday who is accused of an armed robbery at Kum & Go location.

Coweta police arrested Ellic Edward Hayden who is charged with Robbery With A Weapon and Assault & Battery with a Deadly Weapon in the Nov. 20 robbery and shooting.

Coweta Shooting Suspect

“It’s a proud day for the City of Coweta,” said Coweta Police Chief Mike Bell.

Police say Hayden is the sole suspect responsible in the robbery that left a clerk shot several times.

“The pressure that was put on him, his family convinced him to go ahead and turn himself into the Tulsa Police Department," Chief Bell said. "Which is a perfect ending to this to be honest. If there’s any ending at all that a police department wants this is the one.”

Just before 11pm on November 20th, surveillance video shows the suspect went into the store acting like a customer waiting in line.

According to investigators, when the clerk, who was helping another customer, opened the register, the suspect pushed past the customer demanding money.

When the clerk tried to stop him, he shot the clerk two times.

As he was walking out with the money surveillance shows the clerk threw something and the suspect fired several more rounds at him.

Hayden faces charges that include robbery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery with a deadly weapon.

He pleaded not guilty during his first court appearance.

“Assault and battery with a deadly weapon is one of the most serious crimes or charges in the state of Oklahoma," said Jack Thorp, district attorney for district 27. "He is looking at what could be life in prison.”

But the investigation isn’t over yet.

“There is additional investigation that need to be done in this case. We anticipate it would be done relatively quickly but at this point we do feel confident in the criminal case," DA Thorp said.

The district attorney asks that the community continue to submit any information they have to help build the case.

I spoke to the clerk Tuesday, who is out of the hospital and aware police arrested Hayden.

He says he is recovering quickly but still suffering some numbness in one of his hands.

“It was a miracle that he lived,” DA Thorp said.

The judge denied bond so for now Hayden remains in custody.

He’ll be in court again December 20th.

Trending Stories:

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --