Mike Brooks in the Shape Your Future Healthy Kitchen with Chef Valarie from OU TU Culinary Medicine to show you how to make Christmas Kale Salad.
- 2 bunches curly kale, rib removed, chopped, washed, & dried
- Zest and juice of one orange
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit like cherries, apricots, or raisins)
- 1 green apple, unpeeled, small dice
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
- Place kale in a large mixing bowl and add zest, juice and salt
- Using clean hands, massage kale until it loses some volume and turns bright green.
- Stir in oil and fruit. Mix well.
- Cover salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 30 minutes to several hours before serving to allow flavors to develop.
Apple vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/2 medium green apple, cored, unpeeled
- ¼ red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Nutritional yeast
- Core apple and cut into smaller pieces.
- Place all ingredients into blender and pulse until smooth.
*Alternatively, grate apple and red onion then whisk together with all remaining vinaigrette ingredients.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --