TPD: 2 arrested in connection to shooting death of man in east Tulsa

Posted at 10:53 PM, Aug 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-24 17:31:26-04

TULSA – Two men have been arrested and another is wanted for questioning in connection to a shooting in east Tulsa Tuesday night that left one 17-year-old dead.

Chrishun Smith, pictured below, along with a teen who is currently a juvenile were arrested on complaint of murder after authorities say their actions led to the death of the 17-year-old Marquis Mullins. 

Mullins was a student at East Central High School, according to a statement sent out by the school.

Later in the day, Tulsa police announced they are also looking for Roderick Harbin, 46, in relation to the shooting.

Harbin is wanted for questioning as to “why he fired at” the SUV, reports Tulsa police. Detectives say they discovered multiple shell casings from Harbin's front yard.

RELATED: Man wanted for questioning in SUV shooting in east Tulsa that left 17-year-old dead

The situation began when Tulsa police were called to the 1600 block of South 125th East Avenue around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday night to investigate reports of a shooting. Witnesses told authorities that a silver SUV was seen driving from the location after the alleged shooting.

Tulsa police were able to detain two people on the street who were later discovered as the pair being shot at by the passing SUV.

The same night, a local hospital reported that a silver SUV arrived with a 17-year-old male with a bullet wound to the back. Not long after the dropoff, the man was declared dead, says Tulsa police. The three men that were inside the vehicle were transported by police for questioning.

Authorities were able to determine that one of the three men, who also happened to be 17-years-old, claimed that the two people who were being shot at had attacked him sometime in the past. This uninjured teen told authorities that he did not report this incident but instead grouped together with Chrishun Smith, 18, the victim and another person to find the two people who allegedly shot at him.

The teen told Tulsa authorities that they drove a silver SUV and allegedly located the people who he believed attacked him. He went on to tell authorities that he, along with Smith, was armed with a gun. Tulsa police say that Smith and the teen fired shots at the people they believed attacked the teen.

While the shots reportedly missed the pair, says Tulsa police, the SUV left the scene and as they drove off, shots were fired in the SUV’s direction ultimately hitting the 17-year-old victim sitting in the back seat of the SUV.

Tulsa police say because the actions of Smith and the teen, who claimed he was attacked, prompted the other people to shoot at the victim, thus resulting in them being arrested on a felony complaint of murder.

RELATED: Tulsa police see spike in city's homicides

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook