As severe weather approaches, you need to have your emergency kit ready. Is yours?
If it's not, let us help you.
- Download our Storm Shield app. You can input your location, and four other locations, as well as the type of severe weather alert you want to be notified about. If any of your five locations are in the path of the storm, you will receive an alert. Plus, you can get live streaming coverage from 2 Works for You Storm Shield meteorologists, which is important if your power goes out or if you need to get in your safe place. Download our Storm Shield app. Apple | Android
- Have plenty of food and water for three days. At least one gallon of water per person, per day.
- Ready-to-eat canned meats and vegetables are a good idea. Along with protein bars and dry cereal, try to pick things that won't make you thirsty. Replace the water and food every six months or so, make sure you label it so you won't forget.
- Prepare a first aid kit. Non-prescription drugs and antibiotic ointment should be included.
- Extra shoes. You may not have time to put on your shoes so having an extra pair is important.
- Don't forget a flashlight with extra batteries.
- You're going to want to know what's going on outside so include a battery or hand crank radio. A cell phone with a charger is handy.
- If your family has special needs or infants make sure you plan accordingly for them, pack things like baby formula and diapers.
- Store all of this in a tightly closed container to help extend it's shelf life. Keep the container in a central spot and make sure everyone in your family knows how to access it. It may also be a good idea to keep a similar emergency kit in your car.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.