Child dies after carbon monoxide poisoning in east Tulsa Friday morning

Posted at 8:15 AM, Mar 24, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-24 13:35:44-04

A disabled child died Friday morning from carbon monoxide poisoning in east Tulsa.

Police say they were called to a home near 31st Street and 129th East Avenue just before 7 a.m.

The mother of the children in the house called to check on the children, but no one answered, so she asked her sister to go check on them.

No one inside the home answered, so her sister used a spare key to enter the home.

Tulsa Police say the woman found the 9-year-old child laying on the ground, foaming at the mouth as well as a man police confirm is the child’s father.

Tulsa Police say a car was running in the garage and the door from the garage to the house was open.

Officers say the carbon monoxide spread through the home, killing the disabled child.

"I was just in tears because that could happen to anyone and that could be your family and your children. Just to definitely get those carbon monoxide detectors to get that checked because you never know that could happen to you,” said Tiffany Zoller, an area neighbor.

First responders tried to revive the child in the front yard. He was transported to the hospital where he later died.

At this point, authorities are unsure how long the car was running. Police are working to determine whether the incident was an accident or intentional.

Neighbors say three children live in the house and that their mother was out of town on a bus.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook