News

Actions

Girl, 2, dies after swallowing button battery

Posted at 12:24 PM, Dec 31, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-31 13:24:45-05

JAY, Okla. (AP) -- An Oklahoma family is mourning after a 2-year-old girl died after swallowing a button battery.

The Oklahoman reports Brianna Florer died this week. Kent Vice, her grandfather, says she hadn't been feeling well for a couple days and was throwing up and had a fever. She threw up blood late Sunday and her body turned blue, and she was taken to hospitals in Grove and then Tulsa.

Vice says his granddaughter went into surgery, but doctors couldn't stop the bleeding.

The family learned that the girl likely swallowed the battery within six days of her death.

Eddie Johnson with the state medical examiner's office says the girl's autopsy is pending.