OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is implementing an action plan after a 5.0 magnitude earthquake shook Oklahoma Sunday night.
According to a press release, a total of 58 disposal wells that inject into the Arbuckle formation will be affected. The OCC says four of the wells were shut down in 2015.
A spokesman with the Commission says the plan is an initial response and operators are being warned that work is underway on a broader plan that will encompass a greater area.
Below is the initial plan released by the OCC.
There are 3 areas in the initial plan, at 6, 10, and 15 miles from the location of the 5.0 earthquake that struck the area Sunday evening.
- 6 miles – all Arbuckle disposal well operations in the area must cease.
- 10 miles – all Arbuckle disposal wells must reduce volume by 25 percent of their last 30 day average.
- 15 miles – all Arbuckle disposal wells in the area are limited in volume to their last 30 day average.
- 15 of the Arbuckle disposal wells included in the latest directive have already been shut in by the September 3, 2016 directive.
Those wells that will have to take new action:
- 7 Arbuckle disposal wells will be shut-in under the new directive.
- 16 Arbuckle disposal wells will be reduced 25 percent in volume from their last 30 day average (Note: This is in addition to the 40 percent volume reduction that was imposed earlier this year).
- 59 Arbuckle disposal wells will be limited in volume to their last 30 day average (Note: This is in addition to the 40 percent volume reduction that was imposed earlier this year).
- The deadline for shut-in compliance is November 14. The deadline for volume limit compliance is November 21.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.