SAPULPA, OKLA-- "She had fallen down, she had been overcome by smoke."
This morning Preston Hill and his friend helped save his neighbors life by pulling her out of her burning home.
"All I was thinking about was her in there and needing to get her out,” said Hill.
Officials said the number of house fires in Sapulpa increase by roughly 40 percent once the weather gets colder.
"This fall period is always when there's an increase in fires for space heater purposes, you know, fire places, we have a lot of chimney fires this time of year. And then of course everything is just typically more dry,” said Sapulpa Fire Department Asst. Fire Marshal Josh Wood.
Fire officials said space heaters are the reason this mobile home to caught fire on Sunday, killing two dogs inside. Firefighters don't recommend using space heaters, but said it's important to keep flammable items away from the heater if turned on.
"If we must use them it's best to get one that's more up to date that has tip protection so that if the space heater is knocked over it automatically shuts off,” said Wood.
Although firefighters are still investigating what caused hill's neighbor's home to catch fire, Hill said he's just happy he could get to his neighbor in time.
"She probably wouldn't have made it out if somebody didn't come over and assist her,” said Hill.
The Sapulpa Fire Department offers free furnace checks. Give them a call at (918) 224-3359 to set one up.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.