NewsProblem Solvers


Woman disputes ONG bill after ex-husband's bill is added to her own

Posted at 4:43 PM, Jul 30, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-31 05:05:45-04

CLAREMORE, Okla. -- A Claremore woman is shocked to find her Oklahoma Natural Gas bill was through the roof last month.

When she asked the company why, she said she learned her ex-husband's unpaid bill had been added to hers. After having no luck disputing the charge, the woman called 2 Works for You Problem Solvers.

“It just is not fair,” Shelley Hargrove, an ONG customer said. “It's not fair that I have to go through this extreme."

After finalizing her divorce in 2007, Hargrove didn't think she'd still have financial ties to her ex-husband.

"It’s was just a typical divorce,” she said.

Several years later, Hargrove said she got a big surprise.

"A couple of years ago, in the summer, I got my bill and it was like $300,” Hargrove said. “I was like oh my gosh, so I called the gas company. I thought I had a gas leak."

As it turns out, Hargrove's ex had not paid his Oklahoma Natural Gas bill.

"She gave me the address and said it had reverted back to my bill,” Hargrove said. “And I asked her what the address was and she told me, and I said no that’s where my ex-husband lives."

Because Hargrove and her ex once shared an address, the company had his old residence on file for billing. Hargrove disputed the charge.

"She immediately took it off and promised me it would never happen again,” she said.

However, just last month, Hargrove’s ex’s outstanding bill was once again added to hers; a $300 charge.

“Immediately in the back of my mind I’m thinking oh no they put his bill back on my bill,” she said.

This time, Hargrove said the process to get it taken off was not so easy.

"When I got off the phone, I called an attorney and they said, ‘just call channel 2,’" Hargrove said.

Problem Solvers gathered all of Hargrove’s documents to prove she was financially independent, from utility bills to her divorce decree. We contacted ONG who immediately acted.

ONG said they had not heard of the complaint prior to our calls, however they assure us they're now working to readjust Hargrove's bill.

If you are having similar troubles when it comes to your divorce, it's important you update all financial documents when you separate. If you don't, situations like Hargrove's can occur.

To avoid further complications, be sure to specify in your divorce decree how you would like your assets divided.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook