NewsProblem Solvers


Monument company takes woman's money, still hasn't delivered gravestone a year later

Posted at 12:44 PM, Jan 24, 2018

TULSA -- A family still grieving the death of their 8-month-old baby girl is also still waiting for the gravestone they ordered more than a year ago.

“If anyone knew who Cheyenne was, she was all smiles,” Chelsea Baker said of her daughter.

She remembers her smile that still lights up each room in her house, adorned with pictures of the past. 

“Everyone's like, ‘I’ve never seen her not smile,’” Baker said.

Although the pictures hold memories and the laughter brings peace, for Baker the tears still fall.

‘"She's happy as ever,” Baker said. “She's eight and a half months. She has all of her shots. I woke up one morning and we were in the back room and she wasn't breathing."

The doctors said it was sudden infant death syndrome. Her daughter died Sept. 22, 2016. Through the pain the family began planning their daughter's funeral.

“That's the last thing,” Baker said. “It's real then. It’s still real, but it's like you're able to go to her stone and visit her."

Drawing up an elaborate headstone, the Bakers found a company, Tulsa Monuments, who could make it come to life. A stone fit for their princess. The stone apparently was only available in China, and needed a full deposit for purchase. 

“Since it was out of the country, we had to do the whole $6,300,” Baker said. 

The stone was paid for by money donated, fundraised and earned. Because of it's exquisite detail, Tulsa Monuments told Baker the stone would take 2 to 3 months to be delivered.

But come May the company sent Baker and email.

“The stone's in,” Baker recalls being told. “We are going to take care of it. The picture though, it's not working. So, we have to do a different picture.”

Baker sent in another picture, but unfortunately this was just the beginning of a year's worth of misinformation.

“The laser didn't work,” she said. “It was too big. So, they had to send it off to Ada."

Months passed, and still no stone. Baker grew furious at the thought of her daughter's bare grave.

“If they can't do that then they need to get my money back and I'll go somewhere else,” Baker said.

2 Works for You Problem Solvers stepped in to help, and that's when our team learned the stone never even left China.

The emails Baker received in the past gave her misleading information.

“Why keep pushing it to the side?"

But pushing it to the side continued for several months, even after Problem Solvers began fighting for Baker.

The company, also known as Si Memorials and Wilbert, eventually offered Baker a small price reduction on her stone, but she refused. Reducing the price would not get the stone to her faster.

Problem Solvers began negotiating for Baker and the company pointed fingers, placing the blame in several other people's hands.

For Baker, enough was enough.

At this point, she settled for a full refund and the company finally agreed to write her a check for $6,300. The company, however, claimed the rights to the design Baker made.

Although one problem appeared solved when the company issued Baker back her money, another appeared. Problem Solvers are now working to get Baker the rights to her design, she can place a stone for her little girl. 

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook