The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning against the use of teething necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry used to relieve pain for children.
This warning follows reports of a 7-month old child who was taken to the hospital after choking on the beads of a wooden bracelet and reports of an 18-month-old who was strangled to death by a teething necklace.
“We know that teething necklaces and jewelry products have become increasingly popular among parents and caregivers who want to provide relief for children’s teething pain and sensory stimulation for children with special needs. We’re concerned about the risks we’ve observed with these products and want parents to be aware that teething jewelry puts children, including those with special needs, at risk of serious injury and death,” FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said.
The FDA provided the following recommendations to parents and caregivers: