In a press conference with reporters Monday, the Department of Defense said that 37 people in the department had contracted COVID-19 and that it is suspending most domestic travel.
According to Jonathan Rath Hoffman, the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affiars, the 37 cases include 18 military members, 13 dependents, three civilians and three contractors. Officials say 495 people as of yesterday morning in the Department of Defense had been tested for the virus.
The Department of Defense's new travel policy cuts out all domestic travels, except for mission-dependent travel and travel for humanitarian aid.
Hoffman also said that Pentagon officials are also ensuring that Secretary of Defense Mike Esper and his deputy, David Norquist, and their staff will remain separated so as to prevent the spread of COVID-19.