Pope Francis arrives in the United States on the afternoon of Tuesday, Sept. 22, after wrapping up a three-day visit to Cuba.
2 Works for You sister station in Kansas Cityhas the details on Pope Francis' visit to the U.S.
8 things to know about his visit
1. Itinerary: The Pope will visit Washington, D.C., New York City, and Philadelphia between Sept. 22 and Sept. 27 (scroll down for full schedule).
2. Pope Francis is just the third pope to visit Washington, DC.
3. This is the pontiff's first visit to the United States.
4. According to a Gallup Poll (July 2015), "Pope Francis' favorability rating in the U.S. has returned to where it was when he was elected pope. It is now at 59%, down from 76% in early 2014."
5. As the head of state of Vatican City, Pope Francis will receive a State Arrival Ceremony at the White House South Lawn on Wednesday at 8:15 a.m on. Sept. 23. The next day the pontiff will address a joint session of Congress.
6. The Pope will celebrate mass in each city he visits.
7. "He's coming as a pastor of souls and a prophet, not a politician," said Archbishop Joseph Kurtz, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. At the same time, the Pope will likely encourage Catholics to put their faith into action, Kurtz added. (Source: CNN)
8. Rep. Paul Gosar, a Republican -- and Catholic -- from Arizona, plans to boycott the Pope's speech to Congress because of reports that the pontiff will focus on climate change. (Source: CNN)
"When the Pope chooses to act and talk like a leftist politician," Gosar says, "then he can expect to be treated like one."
U.S. visit: The Pope's schedule
- Sept. 22 arrives at Washington, DC Joint Base Andrews
- Sept. 23 meets with President Obama at the White House, followed by parade and other activities
- Sept. 24 addresses Congress, departs for New York
- Sept. 25 addresses United Nations General Assembly, joins multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center; Papal motorcade through Central Park; and Madison Square Garden Mass
- Sept. 26 arrives in Philadelphia, celebrates Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul
- Sept. 27 Papal meeting with Bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, departs for Rome
- See a more detailed itinerary here