NewsLocal News


Ways 2 Help: Household Stimulus Check Intercepted Over Child Support

Posted at 5:06 PM, Apr 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-20 10:00:00-04

Stimulus checks are rolling out this week and people need that money now more than ever.

However, those who owe back child support may not ever see a dime of their checks.

According to OKDHS, that's because of the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996.

The U.S Treasury Department takes those federal checks and sends them to OKDHS to distribute as past-due child support payments.

A question from viewers:

"My husband & I filed our taxes together (married filing jointly). Will only his portion be taken? Or will mine as well?"


“The whole stimulus check is being offset even the injured spouse's portion. My wife and I have been separated for some time now and I'm the custodial parent of a child before marriage. She owes child support from her previous marriage. Our whole check, is going to her child support.”


According to OKDHS and the Treasury Department, your check will only be taken if the state has escalated a back child support case to the U.S. Treasury.

If you're married and filed your taxes jointly, the entire household stimulus check may be intercepted.

If that's the case, you can filed an "Injured Spouse Claim" and "Allocation of a Joint Return" with the IRS to claim your portion of the intercepted payment.

That form is HERE.

OKDHS can hold onto that money for up to six months to see whether there is an injured spouse claim filed.

If you have back taxes or overdue federal student loans your check will not be taken by the U.S. Treasury Department.

Fore more questions click here.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook