SAND SPRINGS, Okla. -- Future improvements at Sand Springs schools are up to the voters next week.
The student investment plan consists of nearly $33 million of projects throughout several schools.
"I think it’s needed, my daughter goes to the 9th Grade Center, she tells me everyday it’s falling apart," said Kimberly Williams, a Sand Springs parent.
Some of the projects include a new 9th Grade Center, and STEM Academy, on the Charles Page High School campus. School officials say the Central 9th Grade Center is the most costly building for maintenance repairs, and the classroom sizes are too small for their growing district.
"Upgrades for technology, curriculum, course maintenance, includes HVAC, roofing, painting, sidewalks, all those things that really make a school district run," said Sherry Durkee, Superintendent of Sand Springs Public Schools.
Another project in the bond is Angus Valley getting a new gym with hardened spaces, which they can also use as a storm shelter. This is the last elementary school in the district that doesn’t have a separate facility for P.E. classes.
"I’d rather them be safe and not have to use it instead of there’s a big issue, and they have no where to go," said Williams.
Residents vote on the bond projects on March 5th. Officials say if it passes the improvements will be done over a nine year period.
"We want to get our students in a place where they’re successful and ready for life outside of high school," said Durkee.
Bond projects include:
- New 9th Grade Center and STEM Academy on Charles Page High school campus
- New separate gym/storm shelter at Angus Valley
- New turf for Memorial stadium
- Bleachers for Garfield gymnasium
- Electrical upgrades for Limestone
- Playground upgrades for NFAA to accommodate grades three through five
- Playground equipment for ECEC
- ADA accessibility bathroom at Pratt
- Removal of Louvers on front windows at CBMS
- Kitchen equipment across all sites
- Student equipment to include band uniforms, wrestling mats, weights, elementary music equipment
- Additional space for drama department
- Sound system upgrades to auditoriums and Ed Dubie Field house
- Re-grading of baseball and softball stadium
- District HVAC and roofing maintenance
- Technology hardware and systems software for district
- Curriculum - books and digital curriculum for all sites
- Media center materials
- Painting, pavement, electrical, plumbing maintenance
- New school buses
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.