NewsLocal News


Tulsa Housing Authority offering emergency rental assistance program

Posted at 1:58 PM, Aug 24, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-24 23:48:19-04

TULSA, Okla. — Tulsa Housing Authority is providing emergency rental assistance payments to Tulsans impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

THA is using the $15 million in CARES Act funds from Tulsa County to help people who have lost a job or are experiencing a reduction of their income due to the coronavirus, according to an official press release.

THA is teaming up with Nan Kay & Associates, an organization serving the affordable housing industry, to launch the Emergency Rent Assistance Program. Nan Kay & Associates will help with the fund disbursement process and applications.

The Emergency Rent Assistance Program is for renters or rental properties only. It does not apply to mortgage payments.

All rental payments will be paid to the owner of the rental property, not the tenant.

We’ve seen firsthand the impact of COVID-19 on our residents, and we know the need extends to tenants across our community. These rent assistance funds will give individuals and families the ability to focus their resources toward other needs, giving them a bit of breathing room in these very challenging times. We are so grateful to the County for their support and commitment to our community.
Aaron Darden | THA’s president & chief executive officer

If a home is past due because of a loss of job or income reduction due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they are encouraged to apply. Rental assistance payments will be paid on a first-come, first-served basis.

A household is eligible for rental assistance for up to three months of rent with a maximum of $3,000. If a tenant is apply for the program, they must tell their landlord as the owner of the property will have to prove ownership by submitting a W-9.

Who's eligible?

  • Must be over 18
  • Name on the lease
  • Either job loss or income reduction due to coronavirus pandemic

What documents are required?

  • A copy of the lease
  • pay stubs
  • letter from landlord stating tenant is behind on rent and how many months the tenant is past due
  • Self-certification to pay rent is acceptable if tenant can't secure letter from their landlord
  • Applicants must provide unemployment documents, if they are unemployed

Rental assistance applications will open on Monday, Aug. 24 and will be accepted through Friday, Sept. 4.

CLICK HERE for more information on the THA Emergency Rent Assistance Program or to apply.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --