TULSA — About 50 teachers from Tulsa Public Schools this week will take part in the district's second annual Tulsa Race Massacre Institute.
The event, from July 16-19 at Wilson Teaching & Learning Academy, will include teachers from 30 elementary and secondary schools.
Participants will learn about the destruction of the Greenwood community, visit Greenwood sites, practice strategies for difficult conversations about history and develop lessons to use in their classrooms.
Schedule highlights for the event include:
- Speaker Hannibal Johnson, Tulsa author and historian – Tuesday, July 16 from 9 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at Wilson Teaching & Learning Academy
- Greenwood District Tour -- Thursday, July 18 from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m.
- Teachers meet at Reconciliation Park;
- Group heads to the Greenwood Cultural Center, touring certain landmarks along the way;
- Groups spends time in the Hall of Survivors.
- Teachers to tour the Heritage House and the two churches.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.