TULSA - Monday, Tulsa Public Schools launched its "Attendance Counts" campaign to raise awareness about the importance of attendance.
TPS is partnering with Class Today in an effort to notify parents of students who often miss class.
TPS says each year 7.5 million students miss nearly a month of school throughout the year.
The district listed some tips that may help students spend more time in the classroom.
1. Make getting to school on time every day a priority.
2. Talk with their children about the importance of school attendance from an early age.
3. When necessary, create a safe space for children to share what's keeping them from participating in school on a regular basis.
4. Have a back-up plan for getting children to school when there are difficulties with transportation, family illness or other challenges.
5. Schedule doctor and other appointments for after-school hours whenever possible.
6. Monitor school attendance to make sure children are is in class every day.
7. Contact the school to discuss supports and services that can help children maintain regular attendance.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.