Capt. Farley's widow talks on tragedy

Posted at 6:06 PM, May 11, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-12 06:48:29-04

"It's a nightmare. Just reliving the playback in the my head of him being trapped knowing that he was going to die," said Shelli Farley.

On May 21, it'll be one year since her husband, Jason Farley, died in the line of duty.

RELATED: Claremore fire chief releases details of firefighter's drowning during water rescue | Claremore firefighter dies during water rescue | 

Captain Farley was rescuing a family during flash flooding in Claremore, when he got sucked in a storm drain and drowned.

"Just a shock, everything was so hard to believe," said Farley.

She and her 16-year-old daughter, Hannah, were on a trip to Ireland with Captain Farley's parents when they received the news. Mrs. Farley said she was in disbelief.

The very next day, the family was on a flight back to Oklahoma to come home to their hero.

"Whether it was a school function, band, gymnastics meet, basketball game, he was there," said Farley, “He always made an effort to be a good dad and a great husband.”

Captain Farley served on the Claremore Fire Department for 19 years. 

Mrs. Farley said her husband knew of the dangers that came with the job, but she believes his death was preventable.

“I was furious that there was not a grate over that drain pipe," said Mrs. Farley.

This week, she filed a lawsuit against the City of Claremore to try and prevent another accident.

The city manager, Jim Thomas, wouldn't comment on the allegations, but he did say what transpired on May 21, 2015 was a tragic accident.

“We feel confident that what we put in June of last year is an added protection as it relates to water inlets in the city of Claremore," said Thomas.

Since Captain Farley's death, the city has put up guard rails surrounding the storm drain at the corner of Archer Drive and Archer Court.

Thomas says this warns citizens and first responders that there's a pipe in that location.

"Had that guard rail been there the night of the call, my husband would still be alive," said Farley.