TULSA, Okla. — When the power goes out, some people turn to generators.
They can be good in a pinch, but the Tulsa Fire Department reminds us they can also be dangerous, even deadly. The reason — carbon monoxide.
"If you're going to utilize a generator, you should make sure that it's not near any windows, and it's far enough away from your home that it doesn't come back inside," Andy Little, public information officer with Tulsa Fire Department, said. "[The] Garage is a bad idea, you know. We recommend you don't warm up your car in your garage."
Fire officials also recommend using a carbon monoxide detector.
- Closings, power outages in Green Country
- DOWNLOAD the 2 Works for You app for alerts
- Water main repair crews brave frigid Tulsa temperatures
- FOLLOW 2 Works for You on Facebook
- PSO rolling blackouts started Monday, OG&E announces blackout plans
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --