Mike Bausch from Andolini's Pizzeria shared the following recipe for Caprese for a Crowd, a fresh, easy dish to take to your holiday gathering or brunch.
- Fresh baby (or cherry) tomatoes, approximately 2 per guest
- Proscuitto - sliced, approximately 2 slices per guest
- Whole milk mozzarella balls, ovaline style (available at most specialty food stores),
2 balls per guest
- Kalamata olives (2 to 4 per guest, depending on how you load your skewers)
- Marinated artichoke hearts (2 to 4 per guest, depending on how you load your skewers)
- Bunches of roasted red peppers (2 to 4 per guest, depending on how you load your skewers)
- Slices of grilled portabello mushroom slices (2 to 4 per guest, depending on how you load your skewers)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated fine
- Balsamic glaze Fresh Basil
- Enough long (12") wooden skewers to have 2 per guest
Start each skewer with a tomato
Then fold sliced prosciutto to a workable size and add to skewer
Add one mozz ball to the skewer
Add kalamatas / portabello / artichokes / red peppers) to the skewer
Place all finished skewers on a platter
Drizzle platter with thin lines of balsamic glaze diagonally each way, then drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with Romano cheese, and top with fresh basil leaves.
Chill until time to serve.