Summertime means more chance for injury; when to go to Urgent Care vs. E.R.

Posted at 8:59 PM, Jul 06, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-06 21:59:17-04

Summertime means more people outside and a greater chance for injury.

Broken bones, burns, dehydration, food poisoning, the list of summer time emergencies is endless.

When you’re hurt, where should you go?

"There’s certain symptoms that almost always should be seen in the emergency department," physicians at the E.R. said. "People who are having chest pain for example, people who are having symptoms of a stroke, like not being able to move one side, having difficulty speaking. If they’re having bad pain and notice severe swelling, or they’re having trouble using an extremity from an injury, that’s something that should be seen pretty quickly.”

Urgent care bridges the gap between primary providers and the emergency room.

"We do a lot of cuts to fingers, kitchen type accidents, stitching up fingers," Urgent Care doctors said.

If you’re confused about a broken bone, Urgent Care only handles basic fractures. If you have a compound fracture, meaning a broken bone sticking out of the skin, you should go to the E.R.

Also, use your own discretion when it comes to burns. Both places can handle them, but the more serious, the more likely you need the E.R.

And while both places can handle minor injuries, such as sprains, lacerations, abrasions, or even patients with mild medical illnesses, doctors said those are best suited for Urgent Care.

Bottom line, trust your gut. If you really think it’s an emergency,  then you should go to an emergency room.

Doctors said it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook