TULSA, Okla. — Mike Brooks in the Shape Your Future Healthy Kitchen with Chef Valarie from OU TU Culinary Medicine to show you how to make Sweet Potato Latkes.
2 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons cornstarch (or more as needed)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1. Shred sweet potatoes on a box grater or electric food processor.
2. Place sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with cornstarch. Coat with enough cornstarch that the sweet potato shreds are coated in cornstarch.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add canola oil.
4. Heat oil until shimmering and add a scoop of sweet potato to the pre-heated, oiled pan.
5. Flatten each latke with a spatula and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
6. Cook in batches until all potato is cooked.
7. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
8. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and serve immediately.*
*If not, serving immediately, hold in 250 degree oven preferably on a wire rack until ready to serve.
Serve with applesauce.
Tools and equipment:
Box grater, knife, cutting board, sauté pan/frying pan, sheet pan, spoon/spatula/tongs, mixing bowl.
Substitutions and additions:
Try yellow or white flesh potatoes for a more traditional latke. Shredded onions would also be a welcome addition.
(Serves 4, 2 latkes per serving)
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --