TULSA, Okla. — Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Yields 1.5 cups
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (reserve the bean liquid)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or juice from beans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, well-drained
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients except peppers. Pulse until mixture is combined. Scrape down the sides and process until very smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. You may need to add a bit more of the reserved bean liquid to achieve the desired consistency. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Add in roasted peppers and pulse to desired consistency. You might like them completely incorporated or left slightly chunky.
Serving suggestions: Use hummus as a dip with veggies, crackers and pita chips for dipping or use as a spread on a sandwich or wrap instead of mayonnaise.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --