TULSA, Okla. — Travis Guillory in the Shape Your Future Healthy Kitchen with Chef Valarie from OU TU Culinary Medicine to show you how to make Eggplant Tofu Ricotta Rollups
2 eggplants, cut each lengthwise into 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
Olive oil pan spray
1 recipe tofu “ricotta” (recipe below)
1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Sprinkle eggplant slices on both sides with salt, and place in a colander or paper-towel lined sheet pan to drain for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse well, and press between 2 clean, absorbent towels or paper towels to dry.
4. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on foil-lined baking sheets.
5. Spray eggplant slices on both sides with pan spray.
6. Bake in preheated oven until just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
7. Remove eggplant from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
8. While eggplant is baking, stir together “ricotta”, herbs, and black pepper.
9. Pour 1 cup of the marinara into an 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
10. Place 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture on 1 eggplant slice and roll up from 1 short end.
11. Place rollup, seam side down, in baking dish. Repeat with remaining ricotta mixture and eggplant slices.
12. Top evenly with remaining marinara.
13. Bake at 375°F until sauce is bubbly and warm and tops of rollups are very lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Eggplant should be tender enough to cut with a fork.
14. Serve immediately.
To make tofu “ricotta”:
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium navy beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --