Recipe from Shape Your Future Healthy Kitchen with Chef Valarie from OU TU Culinary Medicine for Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Pan spray, preferably canola or olive oil
- ½ cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb blend
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 head cabbage, thinly sliced or chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375˚. Spray a 9x13 Pyrex-type baking dish with pan spray.
2. Add rice, lentils, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and herb blend to baking dish.
3. Add stock or water and stir ingredients together.
4. Top lentil mixture with shredded cabbage then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
5. Evenly spoon tomatoes (and juices) over cabbage mixture. Cover with foil.
6. Bake with foil on at 375˚ for about an hour.
7. After an hour, reduce heat to 250˚, remove foil and cook uncovered cook until liquid is reduced, about another 20-30 minutes. It might be necessary to allow the casserole to rest for 20 minutes or so to absorb more liquid if you like it drier.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --