1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
½ onion finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup intact grain of your choice
water or low-sodium vegetable broth
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add oil and heat until shimmering.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic and allow to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add grain and cook until grains are dry or even a bit browned.
- Add water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low (barely a bubble).
- Stir in black pepper and place a lid over the pot.
- Allow to cook on low for the appropriate amount of time per the grain you are using or until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed. If liquid is not absorbed, replace lid and cook until it is.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest with the lid on for 5 more minutes.
- Fluff grain with a fork and serve.
Grain (1 cup) / Liquid / Cook time / Yield
Barley, hulled / 3 cups / 45-60 minutes / 3.5 cups
Barley, pearled / 3 cups / 25-40 minutes / 3.5 cups
Bulgur Wheat / 2 cups / 10-12 minutes / 3 cups
Quinoa / 2 cups / 25-40 minutes / 3 cups
Steel cut oats / 4 cups / 20 minutes / 4 cups
Wheat berries / 4 cups / Soak overnight, then 45-60 mins. / 3 cups
Wild rice / 3 cups / 45-55 minutes / 3.5 cups
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --