TULSA — Recipe from Shape Your Future Healthy Kitchen with Chef Valarie from OU Culinary Medicine for Baked Okra.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- Cooking spray, like canola or corn oil
Tools and equipment:
- mixing bowl
- spoon or spatula
- sheet pan (cookie sheet)
- Knife and cutting board (if using fresh okra.)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- If using fresh okra, rinse well, cut off stem end and cut remainder of pod into 1/2” pieces lengthwise. If using frozen, do not thaw.
- In a medium bowl, toss okra with salt and pepper.
- Add yogurt to okra and toss to coat. Thin with a bit of water if needed.
- Add a couple of handfuls of coarsely ground cornmeal and gently stir to coat. Add more cornmeal as needed to coat.
- Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray (olive or canola) and add okra to pan.
- Spray okra well with more cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Toss and stir okra, spray well again, and return to oven for 15-20 minutes.
- If it’s not brown enough, broil it for a few of minutes until it’s golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately
Try sprinkling chili powder and/or ground cumin with a squeeze or splash of acid (lime, lemon, apple cider, or red wine vinegar).
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.