2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups medium dice butternut squash
2 apples, medium dice
1 medium onion, small dice
2 large cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup water
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 bunch kale, rib removed, washed, dried, and torn
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add squash and apples and cook until beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions turn translucent.
4. Next add water, chickpeas, salt and pepper. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid has mostly evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Stir in torn kale and cook 2-4 minutes or until kale is bright green and beginning to get tender. (Or cook until desired texture is achieved.)
6. Divide mixture into 4 servings and serve immediately.
Note: refrigerate leftover portions for later in the week.
Tools and equipment
Knife, cutting board, sauté pan, spoon/spatula, grater, peeler
Additions and substitutions
Sub pumpkin or sweet potatoes for butternut squash, sub other fruit for apple. Add fresh or dried herbs, dried fruit like raisins, dried apricots or dried cranberries, or chopped nuts such as pecans, walnuts, or almonds. Sub other types of canned beans.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --