TULSA, Okla — Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 red onion, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced fresh butternut squash or 10-ounce bag of frozen
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 15-ounce can no salt or low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can no salt or low-sodium navy or Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 16-ounce bag frozen corn or about 3 ¼ cups fresh off the cob
2-3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients for the chili
1 quart low-sodium vegetable stock
1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
Directions for sauté (makes about 1 quart)
1. In a large soup/stock pot, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add onion, garlic, squash, and poblano and sauté until onion is translucent and squash is beginning to soften.
3. Add beans, corn, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until squash is soft.
4. Remove half of the vegetable mixture to serve as a main or side dish.
Directions for soup (makes about 2 quarts)
1. To remaining vegetables, add stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
2. Stir in apple cider vinegar and cornmeal. Return to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes until stew is slightly thickened.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere --