News

Actions

Several motel guests displaced after fire

Posted at 9:26 AM, Feb 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-04 19:14:10-05

Several motel guests were forced to find other lodging after their temporary home went up in flames Thursday.

Local firefighters were called to the Gateway Inn at 5600 West Skelly around 10:30 a.m. to find at least three units on fire.

“I got very shaky and we grabbed what we could and tried to run out...wallets cell phones, all the work stuff,” said traveler Kyle Allen.

Fire marshals say the situation started with a child who was playing with a lighter and accidentally caught the bed on fire.

The blaze quickly spread to the attic but a firewall prevented it from spreading from there.

No injuries were reported. The Red Cross was available for those in need of its services.

“EMSA said they were sending two units and we used them to place some of the people in, some were in the office, it is cold this morning so that was a concern,” said Sapulpa Fire Battalion Chief Steve Fleak.

“'So what happens now? We gotta try to get a room and get some sleep! We gotta go in to work tonight, you know that's what we're here for. Thank God we got out,” said Allen.

The electricity remains shut off from that section of the motel. Currently there is no word on if that part of the building will be repaired.

“Never in my life have I actually seen a real fire like that happen. It's unbelieveable,” said Allen. “Thank God we got out and everyone's okay. No one got hurt thank God for that.”

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook