Republican Senators James Lankford, Jim Inhofe speak out on recent Oklahoma wildfires

Posted at 5:43 PM, Mar 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-09 18:43:37-05

Oklahoma Republican Senators James Lankford and Jim Inhofe Thursday spoke out regarding recent wildfires affecting the Sooner State. 

Both Senators gave out information on services available to provide assistance to Oklahomans impacted by the string of fires.

Read Lankford's full statement below:

“All of Oklahoma stands with our friends and neighbors in northwest Oklahoma battling the devastating wildfires—they are not alone,” Lankford said. “A number of fire relief resources have already been made available as they walk through a literal firestorm. Oklahomans that want to help can donate: hay, water, food, and additional items to support those in Harper County, Woodward County, Beaver County, and the surrounding areas. Senator Inhofe and I are working with the USDA, relief organizations, and community leaders to provide a list of resources that are available to help. If anyone has questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office.”

Inhofe also released a statement regarding the wildfires. Read Inhofe's full statement below:

“My thoughts and prayers are with our friends and neighbors in Beaver, Harper, and Woodward Counties who are reeling from the effects of three separate wildfires and need our help; many in northwest Oklahoma have lost their homes, farms and ranches,” Inhofe said. “As our firefighters, first responders, and volunteers work tirelessly to contain the flames, those who wish to donate food, water, hay and other necessities should reach out to The American Red Cross which has partnered with the Southern Baptist Men and the Salvation Army. Senator Lankford and I are working to ensure that everyone who has been affected by the wildfires has access to the resources and information available to them through FEMA, USDA and the Natural Resources Conservation Service. Our offices are standing by to direct those who need assistance, don’t hesitate to call.”

Below are a list of resources available to Oklahomans impacted by the fires:

Emergency Loans (EM)

  • Available based on the physical loss of property, including cattle and stored hay lost in a wildfire, and buildings and fences damaged or destroyed
  • Loans may be made for the full cost to replace the property lost, but certain deductions may apply
  • Applications must have an acceptable credit history but be unable to obtain credit from conventional sources (bank, farm credit system, etc.)

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

  • Financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops, including forage
  • Applicants have to meet application deadlines and coverage limits apply

Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP)

  • Available to producers whose grazing losses due to fire are on federally managed rangeland

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP)

  • Available to livestock producers for livestock deaths caused by adverse weather, including wildfires exacerbated by eligible adverse weather, but only covers 75% of the market value of the livestock
  • Can only be used for livestock produced for commercial use as part of a farming operation

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)

  • Emergency assistance for losses during relatively unusual circumstances unique to an individual

Tree Assistance Program (TAP)

  • Assistance to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines lost by natural disasters produced for commercial purposes

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) - Emergency Use of Conservation Reserve Program Land

  • Emergency use of CRP in the form of haying and grazing can be allowed in circumstances related to wildfire

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)

  • Can provide cost-share assistance to rebuild fences and other agricultural infrastructure

Practices Eligible for Wild Fire Disaster Event:

EC-3 – Restoring Permanent Fence

  • Replace farm fences used for agricultural purposes

EC-4 – Restoring Conservation Structures and other installations

  • Provides assistance to repair or replace damaged windmills or solar units for livestock water

Risk Management Agency (RMA)

  • Farmers and ranchers with coverage through the federal crop insurance program administered by the Risk Management Agency (RMA) should contact their crop insurance agent to discuss available options

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

  • Provides assistance to people effected by wildfire through the Conservation Technical Assistance (CTA) and the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) available through local service centers

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook