NewsLocal News


Problem Solvers Coronavirus Hotline: Some have to return stimulus payments

Posted at 5:53 PM, May 14, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-14 18:53:47-04

As the stimulus payments continue to go out, there are some cases where those payments need to be returned to the IRS.

One viewer called the problem solvers and said, “My husband passed away last Oct. 17, 2019. I did file my income taxes for 2019 this year as 'married.' When I just checked my bank account, there had been a deposit of $2,400 into my account. Now, I just need find out what I need to do to get that money returned because I am widowed now."
IRS officials say you do have to return those types of payments immediately.

If you received a paper check and did not cash it and need to return it, write "void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check. Mail it to Austin Internal Revenue Service, 3651 S Interregional Hwy 35, Austin, TX 78741. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.

If you received a paper check that you have already cashed or a direct deposit and need to return it, submit a personal check or money order to Austin Internal Revenue Service, 3651 S Interregional Hwy 35, Austin, TX 78741. Write on the check/money order “made payable to U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP and the taxpayer identification number or SSN of the recipient of the check. You should also include a document explaining why you are returning the check.

If there is a coronavirus question you would like our problem solvers to look into, call our coronavirus hotline at 918-748-1502 and leave a message.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook