NewsLocal News

Actions

Popular Muskogee restaurant closes after fire

Posted at 5:35 PM, Mar 25, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-25 18:35:08-04

MUSKOGEE, Okla. — A popular restaurant in Muskogee forced to close after a possible electrical issue caused the business to catch fire.

Fire officials said the fire at China King started early Monday morning and was called in by a passerby.

“When I heard about this morning, from my granddaughter, I was just totally in shock,” said customer Thomas Bentley.

“It’s like, Wow! Look at this. That’s crazy," said Perry Bruner, another customer of I just can’t believe that it’s gone now.”

All day customers like Bruner and Bently stopped by the popular restaurant.

"Normally about this time it’s really packed," Bruner said. "So, there’s a lot of people here."

“I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad,” said Bentley.

Bentley said it’s difficult for him to see the business closed, but said he's even more devastated for the owners.

“We know that they’re a family based restaurant and they all came together and they all stayed together here in town and all live and grew up together," Bentley said. "I know this is affecting the whole family and it’s sad.”

The business also holds special meaning for Bruner.

“Had I not been coming here to meet my cousin to eat, I wouldn’t have met my wife," said Bruner. "Muskogee will miss this place."

Fire officials said the damages inside and outside are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They believe the cause was electrical, possibly caused by the neon lights or wiring to the lighting system.

The owners said they do plan to reopen.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook