North Tulsa standoff ends peacefully

Posted at 6:26 PM, Feb 06, 2016

TULSA - Chaotic moments for one north Tulsa neighborhood Saturday as a man threatened his neighbors with a rifle.

 Saturday afternoon, dozens of police surrounded a home near North 63rd Street North and Denver Avenue after they say a man wearing camouflage and a rifle was threatening neighbors.


“It felt like that scene in a movie that you see in television, only it happened in real life and it happened pretty quick” said neighbor Huey Lynn.


Lynn was at home when dozens of officers descended on his neighborhood. Their focus was on his neighbor with a rifle on his back.


“Usually he's a nice guy 9 times out of 10, and he doesn't do this on a daily basis,” said Lynn.


But other neighbors who saw the man were concerned...enough to prompt police to surround his home. Officers even set up temporary shop in Lynn's home – keeping watch from the windows.


“At first, I was like, am I in trouble?” Lynn said. “I thought, man, this is the real deal.”


Police talked to the man who said he was concerned about gang activity in his neighborhood.


“At that point, we didn't really have crime. We talked to all the callers who called in and no one really had a crime we could enforce on him,” said Tulsa Police Sergeant Ken Simpson.


Lynn says he's just glad no one was hurt.


“I understand his concern though wanting to protect everybody. I give him an a for that,” said Lynn.


The man was not arrested. Police say for the record, folks with their concealed carry license are allowed to use their second amendment right in order to not be a victim of crime. They say it's when people start threatening neighbors when that right starts to cross the line.  


Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook