CLAREMORE, Okla. -- Claremore police officer Brian Burnett was sitting in his vehicle outside of a neighborhood near the Heritage Hills golf course around 9 a.m. on Monday.
He said a woman, Hannah Norman, ran to his car. She lived in a house near where he was parked. Her baby Jesse was having trouble breathing and was excessively drooling.
The police department gets refresher courses every year from the fire department on CPR and other lifesaving techniques.
He used those techniques on the seven-month-old baby, and after a few minutes, they were able to remove the Halloween decoration from his mouth. The mother described it as confetti shaped as pumpkins. She had them spread out on her TV stand.
2 Works for You reporter Laurene Callander asked Charles Murr, a physician at St. John Urgent Care, the signs of choking with babies and children, if they see an increase of choking calls during the holidays, the timeframe of choking, and other important information parents need to know.
Watch the interview in the video player above.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.