The Nowata County Jail has evacuated inmates and employees, and officials say there was a high level of carbon monoxide detected in the facility.
Just before 6 p.m., a dispatcher told the undersheriff she was dizzy, threw up and there was a strange smell -- and when jailer came in, they felt dizzy as well, authorities say.
All i18 inmates have been transported to a secure location in Washington County. Four of the evacuated employees went to the emergency room.
The dispatch center, jail, and entire sheriff’s office is housed on the lower level of the courthouse.
"This is absolutely horrible because we’re effectively shutting down the sheriff’s office..." undersheriff Mark Kirschner said. "We can’t even successfully run a dispatch because it’s all contained in one area and everybody will be at risk."
In case of an emergency, the public can call 918-559-9537.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.