Girl burned, flown to Tulsa hospital after overnight fire at Muskogee apartment complex

MUSKOGEE, Okla. -- A six-year-old girl is recuperating at a Tulsa hospital after she was badly burned in an early morning fire. 

Firefighters responded at about 2:45 Saturday morning to the Village East Apartments. The fire destroyed eight units, but only six of them were occupied. 

Assistant Chief John Tipton said the girl received burns to 30 percent of her body. She was flown to Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa and was doing well at last check, according to Tipton. 

Paramedics took another girl to a local hospital for her injuries, but she was treated and released. 

Firefighters said the fire appears to have started because of an overloaded electrical socket behind a bed. 

Police notified the Red Cross to help the six displaced families. 

 

 

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

 

Print this article Back to Top