Muskogee mayor-elect overcomes 2 percent deficit in final precinct to win

Posted at 10:05 PM, Feb 13, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-13 23:12:10-05

MUSKOGEE, Okla. -- Mayor-elect Bob Coburn, trailing by 2 percent in the Muskogee race Tuesday night with only one precinct of 15 left to report, overcame that deficit to win by 2 percent in an amazing comeback.

With only one precinct remaining, Earl Wayne Divelbiss led 1,381 votes to 1,328, but Coburn earned the victory by taking 203 of the 282 votes counted in the final precinct  to declare victory. That winning margin in the final precinct was 72 percent to 28 percent giving Coburn the win by a 51-49 percent margin overall. He had trailed 51-49 with the final precinct remaining.

In other Muskogee races Tuesday, Jaime Lynn Stout defeated Stacy Lynn Alexander 57-43 percent for the City Council seat in Ward 2; Ivory Lewis Vann won Ward 3 City Council seat with 55 percent of the vote with two other candidates splitting the other 45 percent, and Tommy R. Anderson was the winner of office No. 2 in the Muskogee Public Schools Independent School District race with 54 percent of the vote against two other candidates who split the other 46 percent.

Early in the day a couple of glitches at voting venues led to three voting machines to be used after two others failed at Precinct 38, and the wrong additional ballots being brought to Precinct 9 led to a delay there.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook