NewsLocal News


Thirty residents displaced after fire at Muskogee senior living facility

Posted at 2:21 PM, Nov 30, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-30 19:10:28-05

MUSKOGEE, Okla. -- About 30 elderly and disabled residents in Muskogee were displaced after a fire at a senior living facility on Thursday.

The fire began at about 2 p.m. at the Fair Haven Manor apartments in the 500 block of Dayton Street. Officials asked residents to avoid the area as firefighters fought the flames.

Officials said a man on the bottom floor of the building fell asleep with a lit cigarette, which caught a chair and eventually more of the building on fire.

Firefighters rescued a man from a second-story balcony during the fire. Multiple people were taken to the hospital.

Twelve rooms at the facility were damaged. The American Red Cross is working to help those affected by the fire.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook