NewsLocal News


Man waits 21 hours for police to respond to burglary

Posted at 10:23 PM, Nov 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-29 14:27:18-05

TULSA -- A man said he waited 21 hours for Tulsa police to respond after guns were stolen from his home.

Graham Dunbar and his roommate came home Monday night to a ransacked home.

The men immediately started taking stock of what was missing. Among the nearly $5,000 worth of items stolen were two guns.

According to TPD's call log, Dunbar called in the burglary at 6:10 p.m. Police say an officer was assigned about an hour later and should've responded right away. For some reason, he didn’t.

Dunbar said, “Surely, in Tulsa, I felt like on a Monday night that there was at least someone that was probably readily available, within the vicinity that could've gotten here sooner."

Police aren't sure what happened and suggested the officer maybe got sick or in a wreck on the way to the scene. Dispatch was never notified.

It's an error police admitted, but it’s one that left Dunbar restless. He said, “This isn't just something that can be easily pawned off. This is something that could be used in robberies, home invasions, shootings."

He says police called around 2 a.m. and asked if help was still needed. An officer showed up to the house just after 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, nearly 21 hours after the initial call.

The victim said, “It just seems kind of troubling that something of this nature wouldn't be taken as, what I would be considered high priority, being that two guns, a semi-automatic 9 millimeter handgun and a 12 gauge handgun that were not in a safe were taken."

Officials say Dunbar's call was designated as a “priority 6" call. They say if he had called in with possible evidence or suspect information, it may have been bumped up to a “priority 5" call.

Dunbar said, “I think that maybe there needs to be an investigation or at least a look into the priorities of our officers on duty and what needs to be responded to in a respectable amount of time."

Tulsa Police is looking into what happened and why the officer never responded.

They say a faster way to file a report is on their website. Officials claim they can gather just as much information there as they can with an officer on scene.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook