NewsLocal News


Woman dies from injuries in Inola house explosion

Posted at 3:56 PM, Aug 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-20 23:05:49-04

INOLA, Okla. — The woman who sustained critical injuries from the house explosion in Inola, Oklahoma died Wednesday, according to the Oklahoma State Fire Marshal.

The explosion happened Saturday, Aug. 15 at 11 a.m. in the area of 580 Road.

The 28-year-old mother's identity has not yet been released.

Her infant son, Jaxon, also sustained second degree burns from the incident, according to Ralph Klumpp with Akdar Shrine of Tulsa.

Klumpp said the shriners paid for Jaxon to be transported and treated at the Shriners Hospital for Children in Galveston, Texas. He said Jaxon is doing well and is expected to survive.

Major Coy Jenkins with the Rogers County Sheriff's Office said the blast was caused by a gas leak from a propane tank outside.

"This is really unusual. Usually you have a gas or propane leak, it’s some thing that usually the fire department will come out and check on, and then of course you get professionals to respond out there and take care of it,” Jenkins said.

The family told investigators they were not sure if what they were smelling was gas or not, which is why they didn't call.

“From what we can gather, its just one of those deals where nobody knew for sure that’s what it was, a gas leak," Jenkins said.

The mother went to go light the stove and due to the gas leak from the propane tank, the gas was ignited.

2 Works for You spoke to one of the neighbors in the area, Rachel Morgan, who said, "We saw the air-vac leaving and then we had heard that unfortunately, they were burned. She was burned over a large percentage of her body.”

State fire marshals confirmed the explosion was an accident.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook