TULSA — It's that time of year again when we need our heaters overnight, and then it warms back up during the day. But having your heater checked before firing it back up could be a life-saving move.
Pam Pace lives in a 75-year-old home. Her furnace could be up to 40 years old. But until this fall, it's never given her any trouble.
This weekend, she saw an orange light coming from inside, where there's supposed to be a steady blue flame. It turns out, that flame indicated much more than what was on the surface.
"This one is very rusted out," observed Brian Rice, owner of Brian's Heat and Air. "It's not supposed to get rusted out."
This time of year, Brian's Heat and Air is able to answer 20 calls a day for furnaces, but they get many more than that.
"We go over there and check them out - check them for rust, or carbon monoxide leakage."
He says it's much better to get ahead of issues before they arise. Tulsa Fire responds to an uptick in fire and carbon monoxide calls this time of year. Andy Little with TFD says to invest in a carbon monoxide detector for every floor of your home, and put them in the rooms where you sleep.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.