First responders testify in Michael Bever murder trial

Posted at 7:59 PM, Apr 23, 2018
and last updated 2018-04-23 20:59:15-04

TULSA -- Another day of chilling testimonies for the Michael Bever trial, where the teen is accused of stabbing five of his family members to death back in July of 2015.

The first day of testimonies, Friday, we heard from the 9-1-1 dispatcher who took the call from one of the Bever boys who was murdered that night. We then heard a chilling testimony from one of the Bever sisters who survived the night of that brutal attack.

Monday was filled with testimonies of first responders in Broken Arrow who responded to that call on July 22, 2015.

The first to testify, Sgt. Brandon Tener, who was at the time an Officer. He was the first to arrive at the Bever house that night. He said when he walked up to the front porch there was a large pool of blood on the front step. The first time he knocked on the front door he didn't hear a response, but the second time he said he heard a faint voice from what appeared to be a female voice asking for help.

Sgt. Tener recounted finding the five dead bodies inside the Bever home. The father was found in a bedroom, the mother and son were found in the living room, and another brother and sister were found inside of the bathroom. Sgt. Tener said officers then discovered the 23-month old baby in a room upstairs unharmed.

Sgt. Tener said when officers discovered Michael and his older brother Robert in the woods behind the house, they were dirty with blood on them. He said Michael had two knives on him, a pocketknife and a sheath knife with a blade about 6 inches long. There was also body armor and military style helmets next to the brothers, according to Sgt. Tener.

Sgt. Tenor described Michael's demeanor that night as emotionless, stoic, and flat. He said Michael had what appeared to be blood in multiple spots on his body. Sgt. Tenor testified that Michael said to him, "You guys did a good job, we did not expect you to get here that fast." Sgt. Tenor also said this was the bloodiest scene he's been to in his 15 years in law enforcement.

Detective Matthew Barnes and Officer Christopher Walker were the other Broken Arrow law enforcement members who testified on Monday.

Two firefighters then took the stand, Jarod Moore and Charles Schumann.

Moore said that night sticks out to him, and he thinks about it everyday. He helped prepare to transport the then 13-year-old Bever sister to the ambulance for emergency care after she was stabbed several times. Moore said there was so much trauma to her body, and that he saw organs hanging out of her stomach where she was cut.

Moore talked about how he checked each of the five bodies for signs of life, and how electric equipment confirmed that each of them were dead.

During his testimony Moore said that while Michael was walking past him at the scene that Michael smirked at him and seemed "perturbed". Michael, sitting next to the Defense Attorney, very clearly said "that's not true".

Michael was emotional and appeared to be crying when the jury saw pictures of the crime scene, including the bodies of the five Bever family members who were killed. A few jurors shed some tears after seeing the photos, too.

The Defense Attorney said they asked the court to make Michael's older brother, Robert, to be available for this trial, but said they don't know if he'll be called. It will depend on what evidence comes up in the next few days.


Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook